Bangalore University located in the Garden City of Bangalore aptly hailed as the “IT capital of India” was established in July 1964 as an offshoot of the University of Mysore, primarily to include institutions of Higher learning located in the metropolitan city of Bangalore and the districts of rural Bangalore, Kolar. Initially, the two premier colleges of the city, the Central College (CC) and the University Vivesvaraya College of Engineering formed the nucleus of the Bangalore University. Soon after the establishment of the Bangalore University, as a first step in the reorganization of courses of instructions, the University introduced Honours courses in the year 1965-66.
Bangalore University has grown both in size and strength to include a large number of affiliated colleges, P.G. Centres of research and a rich diversity of programme options. In consonance with this expansion, in 1973 the University moved into a new campus ‘Jnana Bharathi’ (JB) located on a sprawling 1,100 acres of land and shifted many of its post-graduate departments to this newly established campus.
Bangalore University has completed forty-one years of fruitful existence and has come to be hailed as one of the largest universities of Asia. Though original intended to be a federal university, it has eventually emerged as an affiliating University. The University has been accredited in 2001 by NAAC and has received Five Star Status.
Jnana Bharathi Campus
Jnana Bharathi Post
Bangalore – 560 056
Karntaka State, India
Tel: 91 80 2296 1005
The University of Mysore is a public state university in Mysore, Karnataka, India. The university was founded during the reign of Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV, the Maharaja of Mysore. It opened on 27 July 1916. Its first chancellor was the Maharaja of Mysore; the first Vice-Chancellor was H. V. Nanjundaiah. The university became the first outside of the British administration in India, the sixth in India as a whole, and the first in Karnataka. It is a state university of the affiliating type, and became autonomous on 3 March 1956, when it gained recognition from the University Grants Commission.
The university encompasses 122 affiliated colleges and five constituent colleges (forming an aggregate of 53,000 students). In addition, the university has 37 postgraduate departments, eight specialised research and training centres, and two postgraduate centres that together offer a total of about 55 regular academic programs to 3,500 students. It also runs a number of employment-oriented diploma courses and certificate programs.